Monday, January 10, 2011

Using Blogs in the Classroom

I never would have thought about using a blog in the classroom. First of all, I hate blogging. And second of all, I didn't realize the potential of a blog. But know I can see a few good things about it.

I'm studying Theater Education, so I'll be a high school drama teacher. A blog would be incredibly helpful in showing the community what's going on with my school's drama program: what shows we're doing, what the students are working on, and what upcoming programs we have. Since theater is often under appreciated by administrations this blog would really help to show that the drama program is doing something: I could even add a gadget to track how often the blog is being viewed to show the interest the community has in the drama program.

Also a blog could be really helpful for students. At BYU we use Blackboard. But if I work at a school where we don't use a website like that I could easily make a blog to take it's place. My IP&T 286 teacher has a website (http://ipt286.2tailedmonkey.com/)and I think I could replicate something like it using a blog. On the website I could post the class syllabus, our calender, and assignments. We could even have a class discussion where I post an article for them to read or a video for them to watch and they have to respond to it.

Summary: don't underestimate a blog. It can be a good tool.

No comments:

Post a Comment